Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Gotcha!

Today, I decided to just relax and do some people watching in Piazza Navona. I grabbed a panini and strolled through the artwork displayed in the center, constantly amazed at how beautiful these handmade creations were.

When I first walked into the Piazza, there was a noticeable quiet-the water from Il Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi was absent, and the fountain dried up. I'm still wondering why this was; maybe it was time for a cleaning? However, it didn't tear at me too much so I neglected to ask anyone. Instead, I took a seat on a bench and enjoyed the beautiful weather and crowds of people.

Naturally, there were some peddlers around offering sun umbrellas and hats. One such man didn't forsee what he got today; two policemen taking him in, most likely for a fine. Watching the scene play out was actually pretty comical. At first, he ran away and just went to the other side of the piazza. His mistake was to just take a seat right there, for the officers saw him and decided to stalk him like prey until they jumped behind him. All I know was that afterwards they walked him somewhere, and when they were walking back he had none of the goodies he was hawking earlier.

In our three weeks of being here, that was the first time I have seen a peddler get any kind of reercussion for their actions. I guess the polizia were just trying to keep the beautiul piazza free of any kind of blemishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment