Saturday, May 23, 2009

Markets at Navona

When I first got to Piazza Navona, there was a tent erected right in the middle with what appeared to be a little bookshop inside. Of course, I would never pass up the opportunity to look through books, even if they were all in Italian and I had no idea what I was looking at. I strolled through the inside and came out on the other when I stumbled over all the artists creating and selling their work.

Piazza Navona was once a place filled with fresh fruits and vegetables on weekday mornings. The open air market that now fills up the middle of Campo de' Fiori was moved from Piazza Navona. However, Navona wasn't the first place it stood; the market was originally in the Campodoglio.

Today, there aren't food markets found there, but around Christmastime there is its famous Christmas market with goodies for people of all ages to enjoy. I would have liked to have seen such a thing, but even now the beauty of the piazza resonates with every step, regardless of what is situated inside.

1. "Piazza Navona, monuments of Rome, art, itineraries." Activitaly, guide in Rome and Italy. 25 May 2009 .

2.
Publishing, DK. Rome (Eyewitness Travel Guides). New York: DK Travel, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment